Translate

2009/02/06

Something new, something old...

Last week I started to work on sheepskin gown known in medieval times as a "pellicea" (in Central Europe named "torlop" or "kozukhy"). The most characteristic for this kind of clothes is that they haven't outer layer of cloth, just one layer of fur (the visible side of garment is leather not hairs). In polish medieval chronicles "torlop" is mentioned from the end of 14th century as a garment of court and nobility members. The "torlop" made from sheepskin was favorite gown of polish king Vladislavus Jagiello at the beginning od 15th century and the same type of garment was also worn by sons of king Casimir at the second half of 15th century.

I found just 4 fine pictural evidences of this type of clothes from Koeln/Cologne, Darmstadt and Danzig/Gdansk. All of them are from years 1430-1490. The most interesting for me was example from Darmstadt because it's example of children garment:

Of course I know that it's just a symbolic picture of Apostel Jacob the Minor but with written evidence of shippskin clothes worn by sons of king Casimirus it's quite possible that this garment was worn by children also in real life.

I also finnish my first embroidered woolen cushion:



2 komentarze:

Kathy Storm pisze...

Congratulations on finishing the pillow, I remembered when you started and I was hoping to see a picture when it was finished. It looks really nice.

EO pisze...

Could you perhaps share these torlop pics? I was thinking about sewing something like this for myself for winters...